A paroled murderer who killed a 16-year-old girl while he was free on parole three decades ago has been sent back to prison after his latest parole was revoked. Patrice Mailloux was released from penitentiary in 2016 to complete his life sentence under community supervision in the Montreal area. He was permitted to leave prison and live at a halfway house but was caught gambling, racking up debts and lying to supervisors – part of a pattern of chronic failure on community release. In a recent decision, the parole board concluded that supervision in the community was impossible because of Mailloux’s erratic behaviour. (UPDATE MARCH 7: The parole board restored Mailloux’s freedom. Read the new decision in the Parole Records Library.)
To the naïve or gullible, prisoner Derek Wood might seem an intriguing Renaissance man, based on a new, aggrandizing self-portrait. Twenty-five years ago, he shot three McDonald’s restaurant workers in the head in a bungled robbery-turned-multiple-murder in Nova Scotia. Wood is 44 and still behind bars in Quebec and now says he loves great Baroque composers of the 17th century. He invokes famed physicist Erwin Schrodinger. Wood insists he’s “funny” and a “bibliophile” with a “fondness for recondite words.” Really, he may simply be a remorseless killer who concocted a more likeable – and less threatening – persona, given his eligibility in September to seek full parole.
There is a kind of poetic brilliance in the sterile simplicity of written decisions of the Parole Board of Canada. The federal agency has the unenviable task of cataloguing horrors inflicted on society by figures who are both tragic and frightening. Derek Anthony Wood (inset) is one of these – a teenage mastermind of multiple murder. Wood was just 18 years old on May 7, 1992 when he and two accomplices set out to rob the McDonald’s Restaurant where he worked in tiny Sydney River, Nova Scotia. Wood believed, wrongly, that the safe held hundreds of thousands of dollars. The trio slaughtered three restaurant workers –shooting, stabbing and bludgeoning them – and left a fourth permanently disabled. They fled with roughly $2,000 but were soon caught and convicted. Wood, who was convicted of two counts of first-degree murder, appears to have “some psychopathic traits,” according to the written record of his parole hearing (read document after the jump) convened earlier this year. He was denied any form of release.
Cancrime has obtained exclusive photos (after the jump) of the 19-year-old Barrie, Ontario man who was killed during an apparent bar fight last week in the Dominican Republic. Jordan Morrison(inset) died Friday after a brawl in a nightclub near Punta Cana. Five men, four Canadians and an Algerian who lives in Canada, were arrested and are being investigated by Dominican authorities.
(UPDATED JUNE 2013: Moore was convicted of second-degree murder after a jury trial – full story from the Kingston Whig-Standard appended at bottom of this post.) A killer who served 10 years in prison for gunning down a man in broad daylight on a street in Kingston, Ontario, is one of two people charged in a savage home-invasion murder. Kingston Police announced today that they charged ex-convict Phillip Melville Moore, 32, and Charles Nathan Thomas, 29, with murder. Moore was freed from prison not long before the killing. On October 25, 2010, masked intruders burst into the north-end Kingston apartment of James Clifford Richards, 32. Witnesses told me at the time that they believed Richards was stabbed and his throat was slashed. The witnesses said they believed there were three attackers.
Now we know why Richard Charles Joyce (inset), a 44-year-old imprisoned killer, cowered behind his coat collar last Friday as he was led from a prison escort van into a courthouse in Kingston, Ontario. Joyce, who is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder, is no longer a standup guy, no longer just a lifer in the prison subculture. Now, he’s the lowest of the low in the pecking order, a reviled child molester.
Killer Richard Joyce tried to hide his face from my camera and he refused to answer any questions as he shuffled into a Kingston, Ontario, courtroom today to make the surprise decision to abandon his faint hope application. As revealed in this previous post, Joyce now faces new charges related to the abduction and sexual assault of a nine-year-old girl 21 years ago, the year before he killed a Kingston woman during a gas bar robbery.
Science caught up to Richard Joyce, just as the imprisoned killer was about to go before a jury and plead for earlier freedom. Joyce, who is serving a life sentence for the 1991 murder of a gas bar operator in Kingston, Ontario, is expected to appear in a courtroom Friday morning to formally abandon his faint hope hearing that was scheduled to begin in two weeks, Cancrime has learned. In the afternoon, Kingston Police are expected to announce that they have charged Joyce in a 21-year-old unsolved sexual assault case involving a nine-year-old girl. The child was assaulted the year before Joyce and accomplice Terry Kennedy tortured and murdered Yvonne Rouleau, a 34-year-old mother of three.