30 years later, is serial killer still on the loose?

Susan TicePolice said, five years ago, that they were “tantalizingly close” to solving the murders of two women killed in Toronto decades ago, but the 30th anniversary of those deaths is at hand and the killings remain unsolved. Susan Tice, 45, (inset), a former Calgary resident who had moved to Toronto just before she was slain, and Erin Gilmour, 22, were killed four months apart, by the same perpetrator, police believe. Toronto Police have a video, photos and details of the crimes on their cold case web page. Police used DNA testing to link the murders. The link, and the failure of investigators to close these cases, raises the troubling possibility that a serial killer was never caught and could still be stalking and killing women.

[Read more...]

Share

Prisons boss ignores law, interferes in Bernardo process

Steven BlaneyThe new political boss of Canada’s prison system appears to have ignored privacy laws, interfered politically in a system governed strictly by the law and intentionally sought to mislead the public. At least, this is what we can infer from the public statement of rookie Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney, issued with lightning speed soon after media across Canada matched the story reported first at Cancrime that serial sex killer Paul Bernardo asked for a transfer to a lower security prison. Blaney was quick to announce that he had been assured by Corrections Canada that there there are “no plans” to move Bernardo to a medium-security penitentiary. Blaney’s terse statement was confirmation that Corrections had refused to provide about Bernardo’s intentions and an indication that the minister stuck his nose in where he had no business.

[Read more...]

Share

Bernardo says he deserves transfer out of max security

Sex slayer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo believes he deserves to live in the more comfortable and less restrictive confines of a medium-security prison. After 18 lonely years in the mind-numbing isolation of a super-secure segregation unit inside maximum-security Kingston Penitentiary, Bernardo has asked for a transfer to a lower-security prison, sources tell me. Soon, he will have to be moved to a new home because Kingston Pen is slated to close. Bernardo covets a spot at medium-security Bath Institution, a complex of cottage-style dormitories on a sprawling 640-acre lakefront property  just west of Kingston, according to my sources. Bernardo wants to stay in Ontario to remain close to family. He does not want to be shipped to a penitentiary in another province. Bernardo has been visited in prison by his mother, according to sources.

[Read more...]

Share

Williams case “extraordinarily unusual,” Edelson says

This post includes audioCriminal defence lawyers Michael Edelson (inset) and his partner Vince Clifford took extraordinary precautions in the handling of the sensational sex-murder case of Russell Williams. I had a chance to interview the veteran Ottawa lawyers (full audio after the jump) who defended Williams, the former airbase commander who pleaded guilty to raping and murdering two women. The revelations from the lawyers form the core of this feature story that I wrote for Canadian Lawyer magazine.

[Read more...]

Share

‘It kills us every time’ Olson appears for parole: Victim’s sister

(Olson died behind bars on September 30, 2011)
Serial child killer Clifford Olson’s claim – if you can believe it – that he won’t seek parole again, is a relief to the families of his victims. On her Facebook page dedicated to her murdered sister, Brigitte Kozma wrote that she prays he’ll be true to his word – her sister, Judy Kozma (inset) was 14 when she was slain by Olson. “It kills us every time,” he appears for parole, Brigitte wrote, summing up the feelings of the small army of shattered families who have never really recovered from Olson’s lethal, eight-month rampage in British Columbia that began in 1980. Olson was denied parole for the second time (full document after the jump) at a hearing inside a Quebec prison on November 30.

[Read more...]

Share

Parole hearing date set for serial child killer Clifford Olson

The moment that many families across Canada dread has a date – November 30. That day has been set for a parole hearing for infamous serial child killer Clifford Olson, who is serving 11 concurrent life sentences in a federal penitentiary in Quebec. This will be Olson’s second parole hearing, if it goes ahead, since he was arrested in 1981. I received a notice from the Parole Board of Canada, explaining that so many reporters and others have applied to attend Olson’s hearing, that some will have to watch it on closed-circuit television in a room separate from the hearing room where Olson faces the board members.

[Read more...]

Share

Alleged serial killer Peter MacDonald haunts parolee

Paroled thief Bill MacNeill – free from prison just a few weeks – seems to have enough to worry about; finding a job, transportation, medical care. Now a 13-year-old nightmare has come back to haunt him. “Holy shit,” he said, as he pored over a newspaper story Thursday afternoon, while sitting at a steel table in the kitchen of a grimy basement Kingston apartment that he shares with two other men.
[Read more...]

Share

Will killer Williams flourish or die in Kingston Pen?

There are as many reasons for fellow convicts at Kingston Penitentiary to want to befriend sex slayer Russell Williams as there are to kill him. While that sounds remarkably contradictory, you have to consider that his world is now ruled by the bizarre, nearly incomprehensible culture of a maximum-security penitentiary teeming with miscreants, misfits, and mentally deranged predators. Williams is a predator – now infused with the bright glow of infamy – and if he wants to stay alive in prison, he has plenty of skills that might even endear him to some fellow cons.

[Read more...]

Share

Williams shares cellblock with killer cop Wills at KP

Serial sex killer Russell Williams was moved Thursday into a segregation cell equipped with a closed-circuit camera in an isolation unit inside maximum-security Kingston Penitentiary in Kingston, Ontario, Cancrime learned. The former Trenton airbase commander convicted of two murders was placed in a cell in what is known as the prison’s dissociation unit, a segregation facility usually reserved for convicts who are being punished or who have been involved in prison violence. Williams was whisked directly to Kingston Pen from a courthouse in Belleville, after his nearly week-long sentencing hearing was completed. The direct transfer is unusual.

[Read more...]

Share

Defence sets the record straight on killer Russ Williams

The Canadian military, no doubt feeling the heat as the lurid details of Russell Williams’ murders continue to ooze from a courtroom in Belleville, Ontario, reiterated that it’s powerless to strip Williams of his rich military pension and it cannot also prosecute him under military law. National Defence says (full statement after jump) it’s moving as quickly as possible to recover salary he’s been paid since his arrest and, cryptically, DND says, it will take “other measures to be determined.”

[Read more...]

Share